Friday 27 February 2009

Gratuitous plug for Berghaus

So here I am in Bombay, and my rucksack came too - well done BA. The Berghaus Pulsar 65BC is a veteran of my travels. It first came to the US in 1988, and I think made the same trip with my brother Michael a few years later. It Eurorailed in 1992, and walked the West Highland Way in 1997. It got supplanted by kitbags for Peru and Nepal, but seems to have forgiven me, perhaps because I've bought it a little brother, a new daypack, also made by Berghaus. But there's been one deserter. A Scottish flag badge attached to the rucksack was caught and deftly removed by a projecting beam in a pub in South Kensington where I was having a last-drink-in-the-UK with my pal Anthony, and flipped into the hands of a Scot who works there. He was very keen to have it, and as he had some tough looking Cockney mates I let myself be persuaded. After many years service was sad to see the badge go, but no doubt the rucksack will acquire some new souvenirs in the months ahead.

Bombay! Well, it's hot (who'd have thought...) but very welcoming. Mrinal and his sister took me to a showing of his new (well, made 2 years ago, before he worked on Slumdog Millionaire) film Siddartha last night. With M's help it was surprisingly easy to follow, and quite gripping though maybe a little slow at times. Sadly the local press haven't been kind to the film, but the cinematographer (mein host) has escaped with his reputation intact and maybe enhanced.

Still feels like a holiday right now - the whole "I'm going to be away for 6 months - 6 MONTHS!!" thing hasn't quite sunk in yet. But learning to take things at a more relaxing pace, this morning's been disgracefully lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment